Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chicken Gyros

I don't know about you, but when I think of gyros I picture the Seinfeld episode where Kramer knows of a subway stop with the best ones ever and is convinced he can get on and off the train while its at a stop, and come back with one....



Just me? OK, moving on...

I came across this recipe for Ground Beef Gyros on Full Bellies, Happy Kids. The original recipe can be found here. The first time I made it, I overcooked the beef patties and then used a store bought pita that was no where near fluffy enough! But I had to try again because the tzatziki-like sauce was so easy and delicious.

So the next time I used cubed chicken instead, and decided to make my own pita bread from a recipe I saw on Pinterest and all ended up very well in our tummies! 

Here is the homemade pita on the stove. Thankful for the recipe found here at Budget Bytes


Chicken saute'n.....the flavor of the seasonings here is just delicious and you most likely have all the ingredients on hand


Something different than the same old taco.....mix it up!

My slightly revised Chicken Gryo recipe after the jump....

Chicken Gyros

Sauce:
8 oz. container plain yogurt
1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumbers
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar

Filling:
1-2 lbs cubed chicken
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3/4 teaspoon pepper

1 Lemon

4 pita breads OR Make your own J

Options for Garnish:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Onions

Directions
In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
Cover and refrigerate.
In separate bowl, combine chicken and seasonings.
Mix well and let sit in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Saute the chicken in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until cooked.
(When the chicken is almost done, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the top, maybe ½ to 1 whole lemon, depending on how lemon-y you like things)
If you have store bought pitas, just warm them up and then you are good to go!
Assemble the gyro with chicken, cucumber sauce, and garnish. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment