Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lovely Leeks

OK friends, for anyone looking for something a little different for your Thanksgiving spread this year, I present to you, creamed leeks with parmesan crumbs. One of my favorite things to eat are leeks, is anyone with me? They are a fun little vegetable that looks like this...
The trick is you pull off the dark green outside to get to the light green and white parts on the inside. They taste like very mild, sweet onions. Even easier, Trader Joe's sells them in packs of 2 already trimmed, so all you have to do is slice them.

Recipe originally from Martha Stewart magazine:

Creamed Leeks with Parmesan Crumbs

2 Tbsp butter
8 medium leeks cut in to 1 inch slices (white and light green parts only)
¾ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 ¼ cups heavy cream

Parmesan crumbs:
1Tbsp melted, unsalted butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup grated parmesan
¼ tsp black pepper


  1. Heat oven to 450
  2. Melt butter in a 12” straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer leeks to a shallow 2 qt. baking dish and pour cream over the top.
  3. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for Parmesan crumbs.
  4. Sprinkle crumbs over the leeks and bake until cream is bubbling and crumbs are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
 *To prepare ahead of time, refrigerate the leeks and parmesan crumbs in separate containers for up to 1 day. When ready to make, warm leeks in microwave, then continue with step 4
*it says the recipe serves 8, but my people like to eat so I double it on Thanksgiving


Seriously, this stuff is delicious!

P.S. One of my other favorite leek recipes is this one from Pioneer Woman, its super easy and wonderful. And you can just add some kind of italian sausage on the side to make it more husband friendly: 

P.P.S. For more side dish ideas, here's a link to Martha Stewart's Best Christmas side dishes, here!
After all, Thanksgiving really is all about the side dishes isn't it?





3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I have never tried leeks, but this recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE leeks (I thought I was the only one who knew about this delicious veggie). Anyway, this recipe sounds groovy. I usually just saute them in butter and garlic and if I'm feeling extra love, I'll throw in some creme fraiche.

    ReplyDelete