Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Eats

I realize in California you can barbecue almost year round, but there is something about Summer that gets us out there grilling at least once or twice a week. The best part is that all I have to do is prep the meat, and then the husband does the rest of the work. It's like a break in disguise, I love it! Plus they get to feel manly too, everybody wins! Here are a few things we love lately....

Grilled Teriyaki and Pineapple Sandwiches 
Got this easy (why didn't I think of this) recipe from the Living Light blog. And bear in mind you simply must use swiss cheese with this sandwich. You're welcome to try another but we are convinced this is the best cheese to use and the flavors go together perfectly. The other secret is to grill the pineapple. You could use canned, but we have been slicing it fresh. It tastes better and the pineapple is fun to cut up. I would like to get a corer though, so I don't have to use a knife to cut the little holes in my slices!

Basically you marinade the chicken breasts (we cut them in half) for at least 30 minutes in teriyaki sauce. Then stick 'em on the grill, and when they are almost done, put on the pineapple for a couple minutes each side. At the last minute, melt the swiss onto the chicken. Don't forget to toast your buns, naturally of course, who doesn't? These are amazing, you don't even need any other condiments because the pineapple is so juicy and the teriyaki flavor is already there. Oh, and add some sliced red onion too if you please.




Johnsonville Beef Brats
Okay, these things, and I don't use this word lightly, are the BOMB! They have a great flavor, and so easy and quick to grill up. I caramelized some onions, basically by cooking them in my dutch oven for about an hour on low heat in some olive oil and butter, a little kosher salt and sugar, then near the end added a little balsamic vinegar. So the brats and onions, along with dijon mustard and wheat buns, I tried to eat just one, but alas, I could not. So good!






Steak w/Egg & Goat Cheese


I've posted about this before, but it can always be said again. Any steak can be made better by topping it with a fried egg and some crumbled goat cheese. As a matter a fact, I think this is what we're having tonight!


(photo and recipe from Look Who's Cookin Now)

Feel free to share your quick and easy grilling ideas in the comments!

1 comments: