Monday, July 2, 2012

Loco Moco!

I made this last night and my husband sat down before eating it and said, "umm why is this the first time you have made this?" Loco Moco is a traditional hawaiian dish that is basically a hamburger patty and fried eggs on top of rice, aaand covered in gravy. How could it not be good?? Well I guess if you mess up the gravy it wouldn't be. No pressure. You could always use packet gravy instead of making your own, its OK, I won't judge you. Except in my heart I might, but not to your face, I promise.

I got this new pan from TJ Maxx for 20 bucks, it is my new best friend!

After I whisked this gravy for a while it was finally done. I made the mistake of not fully whisking it in the bowl with the flour before adding it.

You're welcome.

I found this recipe on Big Island Grinds, here. Except I made a few changes. I used pre-made seasoned patties from the Stater Bros. meat counter, and instead of a can of broth, I made my own with a beef bouillon cube dissolved in water. (this is a great way to save money and avoid buying cans of broth every time a recipe calls for it!). I did use white rice because I had some and couldn't resist, but I bet it would still be delish with brown rice, and then you can feel a tad less guilty.
For an extra little slice of heaven, I say add a little soy sauce to your rice, but that's just me :)
Needless to say, this meal is delicious comfort food and a guaranteed man-pleaser!

You can click on the Big Islands recipe above but I typed out the recipe as I made it, after the jump.


Loco Moco - for 2 big eaters...

4 Hamburger Patties
1 cube beef bouillon (dissolved in 2 cups boiling water)
2 T Flour
Worcestershire Sauce
1 T Butter
½ cup milk
Hot Rice
4 eggs


  1. Pan fry hamburger patties in a non-stick skillet until done, and set aside
  2. Add a little of the broth and deglaze the pan
  3. Add the rest of the broth and boil on medium high for 3-5 minutes until reduced
  4. Turn down to a simmer and then add a few dashes of Worcestershire
  5. In a small bowl, dissolve flour in 4 Tbsp water. Make sure to whisk it smooth before adding to the pan! (I will admit that I just eyeballed the flour and water but I did some research and found you should have a 1:2 ratio, flour to water)
  6. Slowly add mixture to the broth while whisking
  7. Add in the milk and keep whisking until thickened. If too thick, add more water or milk.
  8. Season with kosher salt and pepper

This made enough gravy for 2 people who really like gravy.

For the last step in a different pan, fry your eggs, preferably with a little runny yolk. Assemble your loco moco immediately with the burger on the rice first, then the eggs, and then gravy over the top!

0 comments:

Post a Comment